I’m not one to wait until the last minute so I’ve been on the quest to find the best sectional sofa. Yep, I think I’ve decided to go with a sectional for the new house.
I always bounce ideas off of my sister. We’re only 18-months apart and it’s sometimes crazy weird how we think alike.
For years my sister lived in Colorado. That’s a long way from South Carolina (my home). We would always meet up several times a year at our parent’s house in GA. Now my sister has retired and she and her husband have built their forever home in GA. (I’ll share it soon – it’s swoon-worthy!)
Over the years we’ve found out that we wash our hair on the exact same days (not every day). We also finish each other’s sentences. And we seem to read each other’s minds without saying a word.
When I mentioned to her that I might be going in the sectional direction, she was like, “that’s so cute.” That phrase means the exact same thing as Bless Your Heart and a big ole’ eye roll.
We both had sectionals in our younger days (probably at the same time we found out that we had painted our dining rooms red around the same time) and neither of us was thrilled with them.
Best Sectional Sofa Fabric
Sectionals have come a long way, baby! Those days of ugly microfiber sectionals are over. Microfiber has always been touted as the easiest fabric to clean – not in my experience. I hated that stuff. It would look clean after a good scrubbing, then the stains would rise up again.
My current navy sofas are velvet and I absolutely love them. They are pretty easy to clean and gorgeous. My husband doesn’t care for the armrests – they are very high – so I’m thinking I’ll put them in the bonus room.
Besides my favorite velvet, you can go with leather, chenille, tweed, corduroy, and the list goes on.
Natural Fiber Sofas
- Leather – durable and easy to clean – best for pets and kids. Real leather is thick and stain-resistant. Leather gains character as it ages.
- Cotton – This material is not as easy to clean. It does withstand wear and tear and the heavier the weave, the more durable it will be.
- Silk – Silk is very delicate so I wouldn’t go with this because it needs to be professionally cleaned.
- Wool – Wool is hard to clean so go with a wool blend (blended with synthetic fabric).
- Linen – Linen is made from the fibers of the flax plant and is stronger than cotton. Linen is extremely durable but is not the easiest fabric to keep clean.
- Velvet – My favorite! Velvet can be made from cotton, polyester, or silk. Pros for velvet include durability, comfort, texture, and beautiful color options. Polyester Velvet is easier to clean.
- Rayon – Rayon was developed as an imitation for linen, cotton, or silk. It’s durable but prone to wrinkling.
- Microfiber – A knit blend polyester fabric, microfiber is touted as easy to clean. Maybe I had the wrong kind because I hated my microfiber sofa and it was difficult to clean. It mimics the look of suede.
- Polyester – Polyester is rarely used alone. A polyester blend is easy to clean, durable, and resistant to stains, fading, and wrinkling.
- Sunbrella – Sunbrella fabric was originally created for outdoor use. This acrylic fabric is water, mold, and fade resistant. It’s also a great choice for inside furniture that needs to be easy to clean.
How to Choose The Best Sectional Sofa
I’ll admit that I’ve ordered sofas online several times. So far, so good. I’m addicted to research so I’ll research something to death before making a decision.
When ordering online, make sure to read the reviews with an open mind and watch for patterns. I was looking at a light fixture a few days ago and I noticed a pattern of “it looks cheap, it’s hard to put together and it looks like metal but it’s plastic.” I passed on that light fixture.
We also need to remember that some people are negative and hate everything so read reviews with an open mind.
- Measure Your Space – Make sure the sectional you want will fit your space.
- Decide on the shape of your sectional sofa. Some of the most popular choices are L-shaped and U-shaped. Do you want a chaise at one end?
- Decide on the size! Sectionals come in all sizes. U shaped sofas are great for large gatherings.
- Decide on the fabric.
Here are some more great tips for ordering furniture online!